Adana is Turkey's fifth largest metropolis (after Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir and Bursa). As of 2006, Adana had an estimated inhabitants of 1,271,894.
The town is understood for its wealthy historical past (courting again three,000 years to the traditional metropolis of Tarsus). Well-known buildings within the space embody:
– Stone Bridge of Adana (Turkish: Tasköprü) spanning the Seyhan River. Initially constructed in the course of the reign of Roman emperor Hadrian within the 2nd century AD, this bridge has been broken by earthquakes over the centuries and repaired – together with the reign of Byzantine Emperor Justinian I within the sixth century, Umayyad Caliph al-Walid II within the seventh century and Caliph al-Mu & # 39; tasim within the eighth century. In consequence, solely 14 of the unique 21 arches stay, however the bridge is the world's oldest bridge nonetheless in use at this time.
– Yilanli Kale – The ruins of a citadel from the yr 782.
– The big clock (Turkish: Büyük Saat) – A big clock tower in-built 1882. The clock was broken in the course of the interval of the French occupation (1918 to the yr 1922 ), however rebuilt in 1935. The clock tower is a well-liked native image and its picture could be seen on the town's coat of arms.
– Bazaar of Cauldron-Makers (Turkish: Kazancilar Çarsisi) – The Previous Bazaar.
– Bazaar tub – (Turkish: Çarsi Hamami) – Turkish tub from 1519, which is subsequent to the previous bazaar.
Adana is understood inside Turkey, and by Turkish, for decent climate, oranges (rising within the area), salesam suyu (a drink, which, regardless of its title, actually meant from Turkish which suggests "turnip juice", is definitely constructed from salted and spicy purple carrots bitter cucumbers, and solely flavored with turnips), and naturally Adana kebabs, that are long-grilled meat kebabs initially from the town.
Supply by Sunil Tanna